Louisville Short Term Rental Registration
STEP 1 – Register Your Business with Metro Revenue Commission
1) Register with the Louisville Metro Revenue Commission. This will provide you with a necessary identification number for filing. If you report self-employment tax in Louisville you may already have this number. You may call the Revenue Commission at (502) 574-4860 to obtain an existing number.
Otherwise, follow these instructions to create a new number.
- Go to: https://louisvilleky.gov/government/revenue-commission
- Select E-mints (new online tax portal)
- Select “register a new business”
- You will register as a single member sole proprietorship using your SSN
- The business start date is the date your CUP was approved or the date you plan to receive your first guest.
- Follow the prompts from there to complete.
Once you have your Metro Revenue Commission number, you will need to complete the short-term rental registration process. It is best to print and complete the application, and mail it in with a check for $25. This will need to be completed annually. Louisville Metro may not send reminders, so please mark your calendar.
STEP 2 – Register Your Short-Term Rental with the City
To register with the city, please follow the link below:
- Scroll to “Miscellaneous”
- Select “Short-term Rental Annual Registration Form”
- Complete, sign, and mail with a check for $25
ONGOING – Monthly Reporting and Taxes
Once registered, you will need to complete a submit this form monthly
Instruction for completing TR1M-S can be found here
Taxes are collected and remitted by Airbnb, but the property owner is responsible is responsible for remitting taxes on all rentals under 30 days in length rented through a source other than Airbnb. Key Source Properties can complete this process for you monthly for $20 per month.
More information about short-term rental reporting and financial responsibilities can be found here.
Your source for short term property consulting and management.