Boone Cabin – Things to Know
Thermostat – The house has central forced heating and air, and is controlled by the thermostat in the main hallway. Please use the up and down arrows to adjust the temperature.
Fireplaces – There are two gas-burning fireplaces in the house, one in the living room and one in the kitchen. Both are operated in the same manner. Here are the instructions for operation:
Instructions for use…
- Locate the black knob in the lower right of the log base, and the pilot starter button in the lower left of the log base.
- Make sure there is no gas odor.
- Turn the knob to pilot and press down. This will allow gas to flow.
- Press the pilot starter button. You should see a small blue flame between the logs.
- Slowly turn the knob and turn to the desired flame size.
- Please turn flame off entirely before going to bed or leaving the house. The knob should be in the OFF position. Please make sure it is not set to PILOT. Many people make this mistake and it will continue to release gas into the house.
– Anyone under the age of 18 should be supervised when lighting the fire
– Please do not burn anything in the fireplace. It is not externally venting and the house will fill with smoke.
– Please do not leave the house or go to bed with the fire burning
– Please do not rearrange the logs. They are not meant to be in direct contact with the fire and will emit a noxious odor that can cause headaches.
– If you smell gas or any odors, please turn off the fireplace and contact us.
– We recommend keeping the mesh curtains closed while the fireplace is in operation to minimize accidents or burns. Please be careful when opening to turn off the fireplace, they will be hot.
Water – The cabin is equipped with an electronic water shutoff system. It is located in the room off the kitchen, next to the circuit breaker and looks like a thermostat. If it beeps, please press “home”. If the water is shut off to the house, please press “home” and see if the water begins working again.
Hot Water – The water to the cabin is supplied by a well. The well bring water up from the water table at 40 degrees. Because of this, it can take a little extra time for the hot water to heat. We recommend spacing showers and maybe taking a little less time than usual if you have a larger group.
TV and WIFI – We subscribe to TV and internet service through Charter Cable. There is one TV in the house, located in the main living room. We have a DVD player with 30 popular DVD titles that appeal to most age groups and genres.
Wifi Network – MyCharterWifi90-2G
WIFI Password – grandriver452
If you have an issue with the TV or Internet please troubleshoot by turning off all equipment and doing a hard reset on the TV box and.or internet modem.
Garbage – Garbage day is Tuesday. The collection company comes to the deck to retrieve the cans…don’t be alarmed. Please make sure everything is put in trash bags because they carry individual bags to the truck. We are charged when loose garbage is left in the can.
Coffee Maker – The coffee maker is for use with ground coffee beans. We do our best to provide coffee for each guest. We do not have means of grinding coffee beans on site.
There is a 1/8-cup measuring scoop in the coffee. That is the equivalent of 2 Tablespoons. Most coffee manufacturers recommend adding 1 heaping Tablespoon of ground coffee for every 6 ounces of water. The “cups” outlines on the coffee pot are in 6 oz. increments.
Example: If you add 4 “cups” of water, you should add 4 heaping tablespoons of ground coffee, or 2 scoops from the 1/8-cup coffee scoop provided.
Please let us know if you use the last of the coffee so we can provide for the next guest.
Washer and Dryer – There is a stackable washer and dryer at the end of the main hallway, located in a closet under the stairs. You are free to use for your personal belongings. Please let us know if something in the house is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Our cleaning service launders all linens off site, so no linen laundry is necessary unless for your personal use.
Hair dryers – Hair dryers are provided in each each full bathroom (total of 2). They are located under the vanity.
Kitchen appliances provided:
Coffee Maker (ground coffee)
George Forman Grill
Four slice Toaster
Electric range with oven
Full-size side-by-side refrigerator with icemaker
Inclement Weather – If snow or ice is in the forecast, we recommend parking at the base of the driveway facing out, to make it easier to exit. The street is plowed when accumulation reaches 2-3 inches. Our driveway has a company that services it as well.
Ice melt and a shovel are provided in the outside cabinet located between the kitchen doors. Please let us know if you use the last of it so we can replace.
Please let us know if anything should be included that is not mentioned here.